Wednesday, January 12, 2011

12th Jan

I probably shouldn't be so focused on all the devastation happening here in Queensland, what with the Law of Attraction and all, but when something like this is on your doorstep it's pretty hard to ignore.
It has been going on for days - no, weeks - and it isn't over yet, with the Brisbane river yet to reach peak levels.

I have been watching footage on the television this afternoon of the city and suburbs. Aerial footage, which just slams it home in no uncertain terms how much water there is and how many properties and people affected.

There is one thing I have learned from this disaster.
Although I was born in another country, I chose to make this place my home.
Queensland is my home, and Brisbane is my city. My children grew up here. We love this place with a passion...I'm devastated to see this beautiful city under water, but I know she'll bounce back better than ever.

So here is my truth.
I'm no longer from New Zealand.
I am a Queenslander.

And I can't describe how much gratitude I feel for that today.

1 comment: